Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election from afar

I'm still pinching myself, hardly able to believe the big Obama win is real.  It seems like a dream...

People here have expressed pro-Obama sentiments to us all along, even before knowing our electoral preferences.  For dark-brown people everywhere, as well as for all the various colors of Americans, it's a really, really big deal to contemplate a dark-brown U.S. president.  And for ambitious Indians, I think, it's exciting to know that an Indian-American U.S.-citizen grandchild could maybe, just maybe, become president of the United States one day.  It's a hope that no longer seems audacious.  

Now, I have a new political project:  Teaching people here, one by one, to say "Ba-ROCK"!  This "BAR-uck" and "BEAR-ick" business, especially from TV news folks over here, is seriously driving me nuts.

But who am I to talk?  Geetha here says I call the terror attack on New York "nine o'leven."  At least she says O'Bama's names right...

Sara


1 comment: